The organ of Guildford United Reformed Church
The organ was originally built by J. J. Binns, of Bramley, Leeds, in 1913, and was installed in the Congregational Church in North Street, Guildford. J. W. Walker and Sons worked extensively on the instrument in 1946.
When the church relocated to its present site in 1964 the organ was rebuilt and enlarged by Hill, Norman and Beard. In 1997 it was in need of a major overhaul, which was carried out by Principal Pipe Organs.
Historical and current (D06610) specifications can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register at the Royal College of Music:
A regular series of organ recitals has been held in the church since 1988. Performers have included a number of cathedral organists and international recitalists, as well as Nigel Ogden (‘The Organist Entertains’). However, the Music Society is particularly concerned to give a platform to young players; several of our student performers have subsequently distinguished themselves in the profession.
Please contact Gillian Lloyd with any comments or questions about the organ or the recital series.